May 10, 2011

WHAT A CURIOUS LIFE WE HAVE FOUND HERE TONIGHT

This post goes out to Jeff Magnum, lead vocalist and guitarist of 1990s folk/rock band Neutral Milk Hotel.
Even though he suffered from a nervous breakdown, he is a true role model. If anyone asks what my favourite band is, I now have an answer at the ready and it is definitely Neutral Milk Hotel. I have familiarised myself with them over the last year and today I've had a moment where all I want to do is play their second and critically acclaimed album In An Aeroplane Over The Sea and shout I LOVE YOU JEFF! out of my window. Even though this is a pretty much liberal society, that would be a little extreme. I am not interested at all in becoming a musician nor lyricist but it fascinates me, especially within this album, how Jeff Magnum is such a great lyricist. The album was mostly inspired by iconic Holocaust Victim Anne Frank and if you listen to the lyrics closely you can see the link, such as in these lyrics from the track named after the album:


And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly 

from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see



However my favourite song from the album is Holland 1945 and this track is basically dedicated to the death of Anne Frank. (The lyrics aren't the most cheerful but they do convey Anne Frank's story in an ingenious way, using a variety of instruments)


The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes
But then they buried her alive
One evening 1945
With just her sister at her side
And only weeks before the guns 



File:Neutral Milk Hotel.jpg
And they dress well! I like their coats































Jeff Magnum looks kind of scary here (second in line) but still amazing!

Scott Spilane, the goofy one

The album cover for In An Aeroplane Over The Sea







No comments: